20110420

The world according to me. Part 1

I will start these installments with gear. Crap we buy. Americans buy a lot of crap. I buy as much crap as some, but less than most. I look for economy for the most part, yet functional and reliable products that fit the bill.

I will now talk about stuff I buy that is not crap:

KNIVES

There are two basic types of knifes; Folder, and fixed blade. I have three categories in my little universe for knives; fighter, survival, and carry. It is important to understand that I advocate knives that can be all three.

First things first. Fixed blade knives need only be carried in the “scout carry” across the small of your back horizontally. Folders in the hip hinge of your belt line or front pocket of your dominate hand.

1. Fighter. I have the Strider Ranger w/ bone saw.



I advise these for a few simple reasons, grip, maneuverable size as it pertains to yielding, and weight.

The grip is damn near long enough to hold with two hands. It is narrow enough that the entire hand can completely wrap around it for maximum control while yielding, and is made of a durable material with a good non slip pattern.

Though it is a large fixed blade it is not all that wide. This makes for quick transitions of hold easy, and gives you the ability to strike multiple target areas in tight spaces rapidly.

The knife, as a tool, is light. But this badlarry is dense enough to crack open someone’s head. It is thick enough to puncture through battle field debris as necessary.

2. Survival. I like the Tom Brown Jr. Tracker.

This is NOT just a knife. It is a hatchet, saw, knife, and hammer. It can be used as a fighter as necessary for the above reasons, but it is extremely wide, so maneuverability is lost a bit. Tom Brown is a hippy, but this knife is solid! Unfortunately you have to buy a leather sheath separately. It’s worth it.

The saw is completely functional, and behind it there is an arch for striking it with another object to hack at stuff.

3. Carry. Zero Tolerance z350 folder.

It has all the qualities of the Strider in a folder. It fits in your hand, can be employed from multiple carries, is designed with fighting in mind, and has maneuverability unlike any other folder I have come across.

With these three knives all bases are covered and you have standardized your equipment there by adding efficiency to your arsenal, and focus to your training.

Tune in next time for firearms!

No comments:

Post a Comment